Type a term:
Air and Dust: Practical Suggestions
- For grilled foods, minimize the PAHs found in the “char” by using marinades and not cooking at a very high temperature.
- Keep your home well ventilated in order to keep indoor air pollution to a minimum.
- Consider alternatives to equipment powered by two-stroke engines, such as lawn equipment, boats, snowmobiles, motorized scooters, and all-terrain vehicles.
- Be an advocate for vehicles that have lower emissions and are fuel-efficient.
- Avoid smoking and breathing in tobacco.
- Avoid degraded or crumbling foam that might contain flame-retardants. Replace or cover couches, stuffed chairs, and automobile seats that have exposed foam.
- Buy products made of natural fibers (cotton and wool) that are naturally fire resistant.
- Purchase PBDE-free products whenever possible. Many large companies that manufacture electronics and furniture have switched to producing safer, PBDE-free products. If you are not sure, ask.
- Note: Although PBDEs have been detected in breast milk, breastfeeding still offers many significant health benefits to both mother and infant and remains the best option for optimal infant development.